A Tourist’s Guide to Southern Vermont

1. Introduction:

Easily accessible from the bottom of New England, South Vermont is a rolling carpet at the foot of the green mountains and valleys that offer a wide range of seasonal sports, but retain all state features including picture villages, covered bridges, maple farms and cheese makers,

2. Orientation:

Brattleboro, an entrance to the area, is home to an eclectic mix of local vironeres and transplants from across the country, according to the Golyamo Bratlerovo, published by the Brattaboro Chamber of Commerce. "This cosmopolitan city is undoubtedly the economic, entertainment and cultural center of the southeastern part of Vermont."

Accessible from Interstate 91, it is also the first largest city in Vermont north of Massachusetts State Line, and the only one served by three outlets – in this case exit 1 leads to Canal Street, Exit 2 to Main Street and the historic city center, and exit 3 to Route 5 / Putney Road, which offers a commercial concentration of hotels and restaurants. Comfort and Hampton Inns and Holiday Inn Express, for example, are here and the Art Deco Latchis Hotel, with its own cinema, is located in the city center.

3. Brattleboro:

Situated on the Connecticut and West Coasts, Brattleboro was originally occupied by the Abernatz tribes, but the defense against them was formed as Fort Drammer, built and named by Governor William Drummer at the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1724.

As they approached the French in the French and Indian wars, they migrated to Quebec the following year, during which time the structure became a sales outlet for the friendly few behind. Nonetheless, peace, often fleeting during this period, fell apart between 1744 and 1748, which led the army to re-engage.

Becoming New Hampshire grant, the area around him, called Brattleborough, after Colonel William Brathel, a Boston junior, was hired as the first town of Vermont a day after Christmas in 1753.

The fortress leads to a settlement that led to the first shop in the area in 1771, the first post in 1784 and the first bridge in Connecticut in 1804. As it became more industrialized for the period due to the power provided by the waterfalls of Wetstone Brook, soon reinforced paper, flour and woolen textile mills, papermaking machines and cart manufacturers, two machine shops and four printers. It has been the home of the Estey Authority Company for more than a century. The railways in Massachusetts and Vermont Valley have consequently facilitated trade, trade and travel with and to the rest of New England.

The current spelling "Brattleboro" was adopted in 1888.

Today, more than anything, the city is synonymous with art. In addition to its many events, it is uniquely distinguished by its Gallery Walk program, where exhibits are presented at about 50 seats in the city on the first Friday each month, some of which are accompanied by live music and others by the artists themselves. Numbered, each display corresponds to the description, location, and route of the manual published monthly.

Maintaining the reality of the city is the more permanent Brattleboro Museum and Art Center located in the city center opposite the Marlboro University School in the former street station and overlooking the river alongside the outside and retaining the original ticket windows inside is appropriately labeled "Ticket Gallery".

"Founded in 1972, the Brattleboro Museum and Art Center presents rotation exhibits of contemporary art and a wide range of cultural events including lectures, seminars, performances, film screenings and family activities.

"Near the Home: New Pastels by Ray Roussecas", one of the latest exhibits, offers, as the title suggests, the artistic outlook of the area.

"In the hills, forests and meadows of the Connecticut valley," says Mara Williams, curator of the museum, "are the rivers of Ray Roussecas and inspiration." Rousseccas transforms the changing dynamics of the lands through the seasons, cleverly capturing fleeting atmospheric effects such as rhythms and proportions in place … Through refined tonality shifts or the contrast between light and darkness (he) produces a psychological concern effect, a rupture between what is seen and what is implied or felt.

"Dancing Dances," by Debra Bermingham, another recent exhibition, also contain surrealistic effects.

"Her paintings are elusive and mysterious as a misty landscape," writes Williams. "The images appear slowly, sensuously from the delicately laid surfaces." Curtains from blue-gray to pearl-white are empty or barely populated with space. " Look at the objects – a fragment of a vessel under a full platform, kettle, moon – through the mist, we are not tired of time and space. "

Other recent exhibits include Jim Din's "People, Places, and Things", "Art + Computer / Time" from the Anne and Michael Spater digital art collection and Rodrigo Nova's three-dimensional inflated sculpture "Extended Forms".

The art, at least in literary form, can be interpreted through architecture – in the case of Rudy Kipling's Naudakha's house of Hoodie – in nearby Dumstron. One of the 17 national historic landmarks of Vermont, it was his home in 1892 because his bride was born in the area and he wrote here the famous novels "Captain Brave" and "Jungle Book".

As a home that can be rented for a variety of stays by the Landmark Trust in the UK, it has its original furnishings, and the cabin, which was once a Kipling barn, sports a fireplace in the living room and houses four.

While not open to museum visits, a modern protector who has received his hotel status has found a decisive advantage by writing in the Naulak's guest book: "It is fascinating to visit the house of writers and artists, usually get one-hour tour with an absolute ban "not to touch." How wonderful it is to sit on his desk and enjoy Mr. Kipling's bathroom.

Besides art, South Vermont is often the equivalent of its covered bridges, and Brattleboro is no exception. Built in 1879 and located on Guilford Road off a 9-foot route, 80 feet long by a 19 foot wide creamy covered bridge, for example, covered Whetstone Brook. Wooden spruce timber, wood grates and stone supports supporting a pillar have a 5-foot wide, evenly covered pavement that was added in the 20s of the 20th century. This is the only such structure that can be seen from Route 9 and the only one of Brattleboro's symbolic structures to survive.

4. Grafton:

As a preserved Grafton settlement, located north of Brattleboro, it can serve as a typical image of Vermont and build any postcard with the church, craft shops, galleries, museums and historic inns lining Main Street (Route 121) and production sites of cheese located exactly on the road.

With four major stores and half a dozen mills and educational establishments in the middle of the 18th century, it is a center for farmers, traders and travelers producing shoes, sleds and sweets. The detention, after a century and a half, of smiths and cabinets, offers the visitor the opportunity to go back in time and experience the real atmosphere of New England.

"Grafton's uniqueness, according to her own description," comes from being a real city, not a museum recreation, and its citizens are its most valuable resource. It is a living community that still holds the traditional meeting of the city with the participation of a wonderfully diverse population of 600 people. "

Surrounded by a kaleidoscope of autumn colors and covered with a white blanket in winter, it offers plenty of opportunities for relaxation, but in the last season, especially "is a magical time in Vermont that makes you believe that you live in a holiday card, cross-country skiing , snowshoeing, or a walk through the village, then relax with a glass of hot chocolate, "he concludes.

The cornerstone of the city is Grafton Inn. Tracking his origins to the two-storey private home of Enos Lowell, who turned it into an inn to serve travelers looking for good food and lodging in 1801, it grew in size and prosperity with that of the village and numbered several owners – from Chimman Burgess to the Phelps brothers, who added third floor after buying the property for $ 1,700 in 1865. This overall appearance remains to this day.

Despite the initial goal of serving merchant tourists, several well-known people, including Rudar Kipling, Daniel Webster, Oliver Vendell Holmes, Theodor Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, and Ralph Waldo Emerson, have stayed there for years.

After the depression was stagnation, destruction and competition from the emerging modernized motels, it was acquired by the Windham Foundation in 1965 and was upgraded to more anticipated standards with plumbing, heating, hot and cold running water and private baths. Still, the 45 guest rooms retain their character.

Dining options include Old Tavern Restaurant and Phelps Barn Bar.

In addition to the hospitality, Grafton has several attractions, including the Local Museum, the Grafton Historical Museum and the Mineral and Minerals Museum in Vermont.

Behind the Inn is a small Grafton Village shop that offers a wide selection of cheeses, maple products, wine and indicative souvenirs in Vermont, but the cheese is handmade half a mile on the way to Grafton Village Cheese Company.

Founded in 1892 as a Grafton Grain Cooperative, it continues to produce handcrafted umbrellas, a process seen through a glass window, though its production site and its major retail store is located in Brattleboro. Behind the Grafton facility there is a short covered bridge.

Another experience associated with Vermont can be enjoyed at Plummer's Sugar House. A third-generation syrup producer owns 4000 maple trees that are used from February to April. Unofficial tours take place, and syrup can be bought at the barn-like gift store.

5. Molly Stark Path:

In 1936, it designated the Molly Stark Route of Vermont's Legislative Authority, a 48-mile officially numbered zigzag along route 9 through the southern green mountains, lowlands, lakes, streams, waterfalls, and the historic villages of Brattleboro east to Bennington in the west, He was named after the wife of Brigadier General John Stark, who led the colonial militia in the troops of Vermont and New Hampshire to victory in the Battle of Bennington in 1777, during which he declared, "There are boys, we fight them today or Molly Stark is sleeping a widow tonight.

In this case, she did not need this, but she never stepped on the scenic road that bears her name and was associated with several other of Vermont's glories, like Ethan Allen, Grandma Moses, and Robert Frost.

It serves as the threshold of the National Forest in the Green Mountain. Established in 1932 to control poor logging, floods and fires, its 399151 acres of New England and Acadian Forest Ecoregion is located in Bennington, Addison, Rutland, Windham, Windsor and Washington.

Three National Trails – Long Trail, Robert Moses National Recreation Trail and parts of the Appalachian Trail – along with 900 miles of lesser known trails, allow for a wide range of related sports activities – from hiking to cycling, horseback riding, and snowmobile, in three alpine and seven ski resorts.

The abundance of wildlife includes bears, elk, coyotes, deer, black bears, wild turkeys and many bird species.

The city of Wilmington marks midway between Brattborough and Bennington and the crossroads with the North Route 100.

Built on April 29, 1751 by Benning Wentworth, a colonial governor of New Hampshire and named after Spencer Compton, Wilmington's first Count, the city itself was practically fed by its adjacent lands, including grass, oats, corn, vegetables, potatoes as well and spruce, larch, birch, beech and maple trees turned into lumber. Haystack Mountain offers skiing.

Population and population growth has been triggered by a series of precipitating events, such as the introduction of pilots in the river in the 1930s, the creation of a rail link at the end of this century, and the dedication of the Molly Stark trail through The 30s of the last century,

Walking through the city, Main Street (Route 9 and the path itself) overlooks another typical village of Vermont with quilts, crafts and antique shops, restaurants and church posts.

Wilmington, according to the South Vermont Valley Guide to the Valley of the Valley, published by the Chamber of Commerce in Wilmington itself, contains magnificent examples of the 18th and 19th century architecture in eight different styles: From Late Colonial (1750-1788) to The colonial revival (1880-1900), the architecture is so preserved that most of the village is placed in the Vermont Register of Historic Places. "

The right turn of a traffic light (from Brattborbo) along route 100 leads to the Old Red Mumbai inn, a tavern, a han and a riverbank restaurant, as it is charged.

Rustic in character, Han, a reworked board dating back to 1828, retains much of its original structure and is included in the National Register of Historic Places. Dining options include Jerry's Bar and Wardrobe, with open views over the Deerfield River and the Old Red Mill restaurant, whose "abundant food and beverages are specialties of the house," he explains.

"Prepared steaks and roasts, along with fresh New England seafood, are favorites from the menu, preceded by fresh salads and warm, freshly baked bread."

6. Route 100:

A short trip along route 100 leads to West Dover, an entrance to the Mount Snow ski resort, as seen from the Austrian Haus Lodge, which is one of the first.

Settled by Captain Aber Perry, of Holistown, Massachusetts in 1779, and the prize signed by Governor Thomas Chittendon, head of the newly established Vermont, next year, West Dover and his Eastern Dowder colleague began as Wardsborough City. After a successful petition for splitting it, however, it became Wardsboro itself and Dover after the adoption of a law for a legislative assembly in 1810.

Although summer initially served as a season to attract tourists attracted to regional farms in the early 1900s, its winter became a mid-century central environment when Walter Sheonknecht of East Haddad, Connecticut, the current and popular ski Mount Snow Resort.

The demand soon turned the handful of chalets into today's, along with the nearby shops, restaurants and motels needed to help the influx of sports enthusiasts.

By literally paving the way to all this, Route 100 replaces the original dirt that has been invaded by snowmobiles in the early days. In addition to cars, even the small Deerfield Valley Airport brings winter tourists.

As a major city, West Dover's goal becomes more apparent when you approach the entrance to Mount Snape, revealing buildings such as Inn at Sawmill Farm, West Dover Inn, Snow Mountain Market and Lodge.

"The West Dover itself," according to the "Travel Guide for South Vermont visitors in Dollin Valley", is one of the most wonderful examples of Vermont's homogeneous historical area. It consists of only 20 buildings from 1805 to 1885, is part of the National Register of Historic Places.

"The village shows several well preserved buildings." The West Dover Congregation (for example) was built as a "modern-style" building from 1858. The office was originally a school No. 6 built in 1857. Above the street, the Harris house, one of the oldest in the village , is now the home of the historic company Dover.

Accordingly, every village of Vermont is a historic inn – in this case, it takes the form of West Dover Inn.

"Situated in the quiet Deerfield valley on Vermont's green mountain forest," according to its own description, "and only two miles from the Snow Mountain, our home continues an important American tradition of friendly hospitality that began more than 150 years ago.

"Originally built in 1846 as a scene for a stage coaching cabin and tavern, the West Dome Inn has been lovingly restored and now offers 12 quiet luxury accommodation, as well as a modern and memorable dining room at the Tavern and Restaurant" 1846 " .

Beer and home-made specialties such as rib, salmon, roasted duck and pasta are served in the menu.

Mount Snow, the area's biggest attraction, is reached on its way north and south of Route 100. It is considered to be the most accessible ski resort in the "Green Mountain" and is only nine miles from Wilmington and covers 588 acres, divided into the four mountainous areas of Main Mountain, North Face, Sunbrook and Carinthia rising from 1,900 feet to 3,600 feet high. Its vertical drop is 1,700 feet.

Двадесет асансьора осигуряват капацитет от 30,370 души на час.

През лятото и есента, Bluebird Express предлага живописен шестобавен балон с лифт до върха, където гледките от ресторант Bullwheel обхващат планините Little Equinox, Equinox, Майка Myriak, Dorset, Little Stratton, Stratton и Glebe, които колективно изглеждат като вълнообразни вълни със зелени покрития, покрити с ледени синьо, огледални наподобяващи езера. Облачните препятствия запечатват пространството с черни петна.

"Маунт Сноу", според самооценката си, "предлага дълги круизни, черни диаманти и технически тревни терени. Ски зоната е дом на осем свободни стил терен паркове и супер-тръба. достъп до разнообразните терени … На сноубордистите и състезателите ще се насладят на 12 пътеки и два асансьора на Северното лице. През слънчевите дни Южното лице на планината Sunbrook се състои от десет пътеки, обслужвани от два асансьора с голямо открито ски и езда. "

Настаняване включва склоновете Grand Summit Resort Hotel и Snow Lake Lodge, по-евтина алтернатива на имената му езеро. Безплатни совалки вземат скиорите на планината през сезона.

7. Bennington:

Бенингтън, в западния край на пътеката Моли Старк, е особено богат на забележителности.

Награден с градска субсидия, след като бе нает от губернатора на Ню Хемпшир Бенинг Уентуърт през 1749 г., той почувства първоначален ръст, когато почвата и ръцете на оригиналните 20 заселници преобразуват района от земята в града, като механизмът се формира като мелници за зърно в източната страна на река Уоломеосак и дъсчени заводи на запад, улеснявайки населението да набъбва, до 1500, само четири години след установяването на селището.

Машините за рязане на ноктите, леярните, доменните пещи, ковачите и дънерите увеличиха тази експанзия.

Днес каране покрай град Route 9 / Molly Stark Trail води до няколко важни атракции. Музеят "Бенингтън" е първият от тях.

Включен в историята през 1852 г. като историческа асоциация в Бенингтън, която е основана за отбелязване на основната битка, която бушува няколко мили в Ню Йорк, тя е един от малкото акредитирани музеи на Върмонт, чиято мисия е да "демонстрира и моделира творчеството на Върмонт във всичките му форми и в неговата история, както и като място за визуални и сценични изкуства, които обогатяват нашата общност и нашия свят ".

Дори сградата, в която се помещава, е от историческо значение. Изграден от родния камък и първоначално служещ като първата католическа църква "Св. Франциск Де Салас" между 1855 и 1892 г., той е придобит от Историческия музей в Бенингтън през 1928 г. Последвалите разширения и преходните промени в името доведоха до настоящия музей "Бенингтън" историческо хранилище в Южен Върмонт с разнообразни колекции от периода от началото на 18-ти век до съвременното време. Разполага с най-обширна публична колекция от картини на американския фолклорен художник баба Мойсей.

Тринадесет непрекъснати и променящи се изложби включват "Златният век Върмонт отразява индустриалния бум", "Бенингтън модернизмът", "Работи по хартия" и "Регионална художествена галерия".

Градът в много отношения се определя от кратката битка в Бенингтън, която може да бъде интерпретирана на следващата атракция – Старинният исторически обект Bennington Battlefield, който е само на кратко разстояние от път 9.

Многобройни, разнообразни причини и обстоятелства са запалили истеричната война в историята. Доставките, или най-малко належащата нужда от тях, уталожиха това.

До края на юли 1777 г. английската инвазия в Ню Йорк, предназначена за възстановяване на контрола и водена от генерал Джон Бургойн, достига до Форт Едуард, на изток от Гленс Фолс. Но потокът от необходимите скоби от Канада, които биха осигурили напредък на движението през долината на Мохаук и в Ню Йорк, включително натоварването на животните, вагоните и говеждото месо, бяха намалени.

Тъй като разузнаването посъветва лейтенант полковник Фридрих Баум, че складовете, разположени в Бенингтън, са били зле защитени, той избра да пренасочи гарнизона си към Върмонт и Ню Хемпшир. Но Съветът по безопасност на Върмонт, който получаваше думата за неговото предстоящо атака, помоли помощ от войници от Върмонт под Сет Уорнър и около 1500 Ню Хемпширски мъже под Джон Старк.

Прагът на конфронтацията беше хълм с изглед към река Вальомас, на пет мили от Бенингтън, а не във Върмонт, на който Старк изпрати отбранителни сили на 16 август 1777 г. два дни след като британците го стигнаха.

Макар че първоначалният огън от мускета накара непосредственото предаване на индийци, канадци и тори, самите британци се задържаха и двучасовият сблъсък с американците, който по-късно Старк описва като "една непрекъсната гръмотевица", доведе до залавянето на хълма и смъртта на Баум. Когато се разсееше последният изпухналост, 200 британци загинаха и 700 бяха заловени, за разлика от 40-те убити американци и 30-те ранени.

Паметникът на битката в Бенингтън, разположен на складовата площадка за доставки и най-високата структура на държавата, произхожда от 1873 г., когато Общото събрание на Върмонт създава Асоциацията за паметници на Бенингтън, която е само продължение на историческото дружество в Бенингтън, с $ 112 000 за земя и действителна структура, повдигната от частните граждани, трите държави във Върмонт, Ню Хемпшир и Масачузетс и Конгреса.

Проектиран от Бостън архитект Джон Филип Рин и посветен през 1891 г., полученият монолит, изработен от синьо-сив магнезиев варовик, кариерен от Хъдсън Фолс, Ню Йорк, се издига на 306 фута, 4,5 инча от 37 квадратни фута база и е асансьор достъпен ниво на наблюдение, чиито отвори с отвори от 11 фута позволяват да се видят три състояния. Освен това периодично се предлагат екскурзии с 421 стъпки.

Билетите се купуват от магазина за подаръци, който заема точно мястото на оригиналния склад, цел и катализатор на битката, а по-малък паметник почита Сет Уорнър, командир на момчетата от "Зелената планина", който помага за победата на британците по време на втория ангажимент.

Друга важна забележителност на Бенингтън е близката стара Първа църква.

Повлияни от "голямото пробуждане" в Кънектикът и Западна Масачузетс, местните сепаратисти се събирали на своето място на 3 декември 1762 г. в елементарна борова структура върху това, което днес е зеленото пред църквата и центъра на селото.

Построен през 1805 г. от архитекта Лавиус Филмор, братовчед на 13-ия президент на нацията, самата църква на колониалната архитектура се характеризира с пълни борови дървени стволове, подредени ръчно в колони, декорации от дървени блокчета, които приличат на каменните, използвани от европейските им колеги, и двете долни и горни пейки, последната за посетители и млади енориаши.

След обновяването през 1937 г., което възстановява кутията на кутията и високия амвон, поетът Робърт Фрост прочете "Черната вила" по време на церемонията по възстановяването, въпреки че вторият по-обширен проект, предприет между 1994 и 1999 г., боя на боя. Интериорът също беше преместен и вниманието бе отделено на мраморните стъпала, гредите на сутерена, покрива и камбанарията.

Въпреки, че Фрост не е бил самият той, той купи две семейни погребални площадки в съседното гробище, където е погребан, заедно със 75 патриоти от революционна война.

Изкуството може да се оцени в Bennington в Центъра за изкуства в Бенингтън, намиращ се на кратко разстояние от старата първа църква и построен от местния филантроп Брус Лаумейстер и неговата съпруга Елизабет Малка през 1994 г., първоначално за показване на парчета от собствената си колекция. Тъй като иначе постига своята цел да донесе изкуство от световна класа на жителите и посетителите на Нова Англия.

Картините и бронзите на индианците и индианците, заедно с килимите Navajo, саксии и kachina кукли, са дали от най-ранните си дни все по-голям брой забележителни експонати в разширяващото се, множество галерии, включително тези от Society of Художници на животните, американски артисти, Американската акварелна асоциация, обществото на акварелите в Нова Англия, съюзниците на Америка, американската академия на жените художници, пазтелското дружество на Америка и изкуствата за парковете. Това е единственият музей на Източното крайбрежие, който е домакин на Калифорнийския арт клуб.

Свързан с центъра е ярко червеният боядисан Музей на покритите мостове, завършен през 2003 г. и е първото място в света, посветено на тяхното съхранение, разбиране и тълкуване. Те са по същество самият Върмонт.

Експонатите се съсредоточават върху техния дизайн, инженерство, строителство и история и се допълват от филми, компютърни работни станции, които позволяват на посетителя да проучи техническите техники за изграждане, както и работен модел железопътен план, изобразяващ покрити с мостове мостове.

Свързвайки речните брегове и предлагайки суспендиран проход за пешеходци, велосипеди, коне, вагони и моторни превозни средства, те според Хенри Уодсуърт Лонгфелоу дават "кратък мрак, водещ от светлината към светлината".

Истинското нещо, както и във Върмонт, не е далеч от музея. Северно шофиране по маршрут 7, последвано от ляво завой до Northside Drive (което става сама по себе си 67A West) и Silk Road, води до копринен мост от 88 фута, който обхваща река Валлоумсак.

След още един ляв завой на "Мърфи Роуд" и на две мили с кола, се появява хартиеният селищен мост, градски решетъчен дизайн, въпреки че е заместител за 2000 г. на оригинала, построен от Чарлз Ф. Сиърс през 1889 г.

И накрая, мостът Хенри, който се намира на 1,3 мили по-надалеч от пресечната точка на Мърфи и речни пътища, е още една реконструкция, построена през 1989 г., за да замени оригиналния сигнал от 1840 година.

8. Шрафсбъри:

Поглед към живота на един поет може да бъде преживян в Музея на каменната къща "Робърт Фрост", построен през 1769 г. от камък и таймер, разположен на парцел от седем акра в Южен Шрафтсбъри (Изход 2 на Маршрут 7).

Литературна забележителност, в дома на Фрост е живял от 1920 до 1929 г. и в него пише стихотворения за първата си книга за награда "Пулицър", "Ню Хемпшир", включително "Спиране от Уудс на снежна вечер", иронично написана в трапезарията масичка за стая в гореща юни 1922 сутрин, след като се събуди цяла нощ, работейки по различен проект. Цялата стая е посветена на това усилие.

"Стаята" Спиране от гората "," според ръководството на музея ", е (изцяло) посветена на това стихотворение – историята за това как е написано, факсимиле на ръкописния ръкопис, спорна запетая, представяне на метър и рима , това, което критиците казаха за стихотворението, и какво каза Фрост за него. Пример за екстремно поетично майсторство, това любимо стихотворение е едно от централните поетични постижения на американската литература.

Тъй като околностите остават почти непроменени, откакто живееше Фрост – от бреза и ябълки, полета, гора, каменни стени и дървена плевня до червените борови дървета, които той самият посади – посетителят може да погълне вдъхновението си.