Aging Out of EPSDT – Part VIII: Strategies


In the previous 7 publications, we looked at the details of what is wrong with the system that forces children with disabilities to be covered by Medicaid's Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnosis and Treatment (EPSDT) program to become disabled adults covered by. nothing. Now is the time to look at how these same families can find a way to cope with the reality of the broken system they work in.

Become a home care provider

Some countries have introduced programs that allow a parent or brother to receive Medicaid money to provide health care for their beloved person with special needs. Programs are called "Cash and Counseling" or "Self-Focused Care" depending on the country. Available in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington and West Virginia.

In short, your Medicare user must apply for the program and the state will evaluate them to determine how many hours of home care they need each week to function. They use the "fair and regular" rate paid to home care workers in your geographic area by multiplying it by the estimated number of hours that your beloved person thinks will need, and will give them a budget of that amount to work . They may choose to pay to someone (in some countries you have to go to a nursing class) and they may decide to pay any amount at or above the country's minimum wage. (Keep in mind that it gives them the freedom to stop paying and paying for a professional for a certain period of time if you need a break that is an intimate benefit to families taking care of the world.)

Move to a better Medicaid country

If you live in one of the 19 countries that have not yet adopted Obcamacare Medicaid (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin, or Wyoming) may be difficult to accept, but moving to one of the other 31 states (or the District of Columbia) may actually be in your best interest. This can be a tough call, naturally – it depends on many factors, not least of which is finding housing and employment – but if you can make that move, the effects on a loved one with disabilities can be dreadful,

If you try to go on this route, you have to do a few things:

1. Make sure that the Medicaid programs available in your target country will actually cover your loved one (see Part III of this series).
2. Check the income and resources limits and make sure you still qualify. (Some countries offer lower resource limits, others do not.)
3. Move.
4. Declare your new state.
5. Apply for Medicaid in your new country.
6. Disconnect Medicaid from its previous state.

It's the hardest thing to do, but that's only the best.